Generally, a domain name is also referred to as the url of the site. No 2 sites in the globe can have similar domain along with the same extension such as .info, .org, .com etc. Usually, when you register for a hosting solutions, a web hosting company may provide alluring hosting deals with free of cost domain name registration as an element of the package as well, however it may not be the instance with each and every host. A unique domain name shouldn’t be easy to remember only, however should also be easy to type. If you are thinking about launching a site, then a comprehensive knowledge of domain names is extremely important. Simultaneously, if you are thinking about providing web hosting service or domain registration domain registration to your clients, you also need a great knowledge of domain sign up as well as domain renewal process. As soon as the domain name is bought and registered, it gets incorporated in a large register of records including the details of other domain names, plus this database is handled by ICANN. Despite the domain name, some other information such as IP address is also entered into a domain name server or DNS, and this system informs all the other PCs that are connected to the web regarding the name of the domain plus its IP address.
How to Sign up or Register a Domain Name
Well, users can go to the official site of any domain name registrar such as powerhoster.com and just enter the name of domain name of their preferences for checking the accessibility. However, before you buy and register a domain name, you have to ensure that you know the basic rules and regulations of the format and length of the domain name. After entering your favorite domain name, fallouts would appear showing that the name has been taken already by some other person or company. If this is the case, then you should try out some other top level domain extensions such as .net, .info or .org, however that may not be a nice idea if you wish to create that as a major brand (because of the presence of other sites with the exact or same domain name but with different top level domain extension).
Here the basic rule would be to seek the availability of the dot com extension, and avoid that specific domain in case the dot com extension has been booked already. But, in case the dot com extension is accessible, but .org or .info has been already booked by some other person, you may still think about registering the dot com extension for introducing your site. Before proceeding with how a domain names registration system work, let’s take a look at how to select a domain name.
How to select a Domain Name
First of all it is important for you to keep your domain name crisp and simple and something closely associated to your business. Write down a possible list of your preferred domain names. If you are having trouble finding a nice domain name, you should try to find some interesting names that are closely connected to the services provided by you. Also, you can seek eye-catching key phrases in your promotional pamphlets or brochures. Also, you can try out all sorts of combinations that may work better for you and ultimately zero in some options and do a domain name search on WhoIs database or any of the ICANN certified Registrars to check if the domain name has been taken already or not. In that case you can try to pick a new domain name or if you’re specific about your preferred name, then you should get in touch with the owner of the website and see whether they are willing to sell their domain name to you.
If you require a specific set of web users to go to your website, you should try to come up with a domain that is as allied to the key phrases your potential customers would enter into the search engines as possible. This does marvels in terms of increasing site traffic over such a long amount of time.
For example, you offer the services of packers and movers in Texas, however the name of your company is GP, then you might wish to think about registering a domain such as gp-packersnmovers.com in place of just Gpservices.com, because the last one does not provide a clear sign of the type of service your business depends on.
Theory of Sub-Domains
The theory of sub-domain is yet famous to the individual though they make use of them on a regular basis. These sub-domains are generated nowhere else but only on the domain name server that your site operates on. The distinction among a sub-domain and regular domain is that the latter isn’t needed to be signed up with a registrar. By saying that, these sub-domains can be produced just after the main domain name has been properly registered. A few famous examples of sub-domains are Apple Store and Microsoft Support Forum. You can create as several sub-domains as you wish, without gaining any extra expenditure.
Domain Deletion and Renewal Process
Users should know that they might lose the possession of the domain-name if they do not renew the same one day before the expiry date. As soon as the domain name registration expires, it leaves within a pool, wherein all such expired domain names are stored, and such domain name can be purchased or back-ordered through sales.
If no one chooses an expired domain name, then it is exposed to a common-pool, as well as made accessible for registration once again. Thus, though you forget to renew your domain name promptly, there is a high chance of receiving them again, throughout this extra time, however your domain name registrar may cost you additional money for receiving it again. As a domain name registrar, you must look for all the expired domain names of your consumers, and try hard to keep those whom you think to be extremely valuable. For example, if you inadvertently happen to see a precious domain name such as sales.com expiring, then you you may wish to take it at any cost. This is because you may be capable to sell such domains for hundreds of thousands of dollars. At present, small single word domains names are finished, thus if you come across an expiring domain, it would be none less than a million-dollar lottery ticket or a gold-mine.
In addition, a few of the domain name registrars even register eye-catching domains in hope and then attempt to sell them for millions of dollars to people who would be fascinated in purchasing them.
How does a Domain Name Registration system works
If you wish to create a website application or a website, then you begin by signing up your website name, which is also called as a domain-name. Your domain or url is the name, like example.com, that your customers type in a web browser to show your site.
Here’s a general idea of how you sign up a domain.
- You select a domain-name for your site and check that it is accessible or not, which implies that nobody else has signed up the domain name that you wish. In case, your preferred domain name is already taken, then you can try and choose other domain name or try to change just the TLD, like dot com, to another TLD, like .hockey or .ninja.
- You can register the domain or url with powerhoster.com. When you sign up a domain name, you give names as well as contact details for the owner of the domain plus other contacts. When you sign up a domain name with powerhoster.com, the service involuntarily makes itself the domain name server service for the url by following the steps below-
- First of all you need to create a web hosted zone that contains the same name similar to your domain name.
- Allocate a set of 4 name-servers to your web hosted zone. At what time anyone makes use of a browser to access your site, like www.example.com, these domain name servers inform the web browser where to look for your resources, for example an Amazon S3 bucket or a web server. (Amazon S3 is entity storage for keeping and fetching any amount of information from anywhere on the Internet. A bucket is like a pot for entities that you keep in S3.)
- Receives the domain name servers from that web hosted zone and includes them into the domain.
- In the last part of the process of registration, the host will send all your details to the registrar for that domain name.
- After that the domain name registrar transmits your details to the registry for your domain name. In general, registry is a firm that sells domain name registrations for single or multiple TLDs, like .com.
- The registry keeps the data regarding your domain name in their private database and also keeps some of the details in WHOIS records.
How many domain name extensions are there?
With a lot of domain names registered already, you might want to know if anything is left there. Actually, with over 800 accessible domain name extensions and several latest TLDs such as .blog, .app, and .web planning to be exposed, you must have no problem to find your best website address, with any extension you fancy. Now if you are interested to know which domain extensions are accessible, then here we are mentioning some of the popular extension to pick from.
- ccTLDs (Country code top-level domains): These shows particular territories or countries. Since some need presence or residency in that particular nation, while most of them have no limitations on who can buy them. Some of the common examples of ccTLDs: us (United States of America), .uk (United Kingdom), .es (Spain), .de (Germany), and .be (Belgium).
- Geographic extensions: These are best for local industries because it tells people about your exact location. A few examples to think about are .vegas, .london, and .berlin.
- TLDs (Generic top-level domains): The most famous domain extensions are .biz, .net, and .com which can easily be taken by anybody. But, TLDs such as .pro or .edu are limited to educational bodies, relevant professionals along with a license.
- gTLDs (Generic top-level domains): These type of extensions are an incredible option to the conventional .biz or .com. A website address with the gTLD extensions are .construction, .accountant, or .dentist that informs people what you can do with your domain name.
Now that you are aware of everything regarding domain names, comprising how they work plus what types of extensions are accessible, move ahead and register your favored domain name.